Jesus teaches us in Matthew 5:41 ". . . if anyone forces you to go one mile, go also the second mile (NRSV)." Imagine how many extra miles we can go when God calls us! Imagine how much we can do to proclaim God's love!
The Session has designated Sunday, September 25 to be Extra Mile Sunday. On that day, Cheryl Lafferty will preach a special message on the topic, and we will explore the theme through Scripture, hymns, and prayer. The congregation is encouraged to celebrate Extra Mile Sunday by choosing to do something extra in the life of our church.
Here are some suggestions for Extra Mile giving:
- Put an extra day, week, or month of pledge giving in the offering plate.
- Buy an extra food item for Food for Hope.
- Make an extra batch of cookies for Coffee Hour.
- Spend an extra hour in prayer.
- Bring extra coins for Turning Point.
Of course, there are many other extra things we can do to observe Extra Mile Sunday, and the Stewardship Committee looks forward to hearing your ideas.
How will YOU go the extra mile?